Thursday, March 26, 2009

Food and Headaches

One of my graphic design professors is also a migraine sufferer and so we were talking today and she informed me that certain foods can trigger migraines. She printed off the list and I was shocked. A LOT of what I eat on a DAILY basis was on this list!

-Ripened Cheeses: Cheddar, American, Velveeta and Cream Cheese
-Chocolate
-All nuts including peanut butter
-Sourdough bread, breads and crackers containing cheese or chocolate
-Foods containing MSG: soy sauce and seasoned salt
-Figs, raisins, papayas, avocados, red plums-no more then 1/2 cup daily
-Citrus fruits-no more then 1/2 cup daily
-Bananas-no more then 1/2 daily
-Pizza
-Excessive amounts of tea, coffee or cola beverages-no more then 2 cups daily
-Sausage, bologna, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs
-Snow peas, sauerkraut, pickles and olives

Here are some things that I eat daily:
bagel with cream cheese and fresh fruit (either a banana, grapes or an orange)
bologna and cheese sandwich and a pickle
And recently I have been woofing down tagalong girl scout cookies like they are going out of style (peanut butter and chocolate)

She was telling me that to really take control of your migraines it is an entire lifestyle change. And seeing that I don't want to be on this anti-seizure medicine for a long period of time I am willing to try anything.

I just don't know how I am going to give up chocolate and pizza...grr!

1 comment:

Constance said...

Let's be miserable together!

Seriously, I have made some major changes to my diet as well and am seeing results already! I am eating more fruit, less sugar and junk, etc. I have never ate much fast food to begin with so that's not been a problem. I've been eating less, waiting until my stomach actually growls and stopping once I feel full. The last 2 times I've been to a nice restaurant, I've brought half of it home with me. I don't have control of the steroids that the Oncologist has me on but there are SOME things I do have control over!

Viva La "Skinny Cows"!
Mom