Thursday, November 05, 2009

Why I love what I do...

Back in August I photographed a wedding for a couple named David and Kim. Their wedding was a second marriage situation and were blending their children from previous relationships into their new family. There wedding ceremony was small and intimate and really focused on the central idea of this new family unit; something I could totally relate to. That was so important to Steven and I when we got married.

I only spent a few hours with this family (small ceremony and a dinner reception at a local restaurant) but in those few hours I can say that I was truly blessed to be apart of this special day for them. I met a family that absolutely touched my heart and know that there was a bigger reason that our paths crossed.

Yesterday I received an email from David and Kim. They were going through their snapshots on their camera from the wedding and came across this picture. This photo sums up why I love what I do. In that short amount of time with them, I went from being the 'professional wedding photographer' to being invited to sit and eat with them at their table and requested to be in family photographs. I absolutely love that my clients have that level of comfort with me; and that is why I love what I do. I get to be apart of something so big and important in people's lives. I am able to give them these little glimpses of their amazing day that they can hold on to and cherish for a lifetime. And at the end of the day I can truly say that I have made new friendships...now tell me, what is better then that?!

Kim (the bride), Caroline, and myself

2 comments:

Pam Hopkins said...

It is very obvious in watching you and listening to you that you thoroughly love what you do. You are also, very much, a people person. The job you have is the perfect job for you. I love to see people who enjoy what they do for a living. That is a rare gift. For you, your photography is more than a job and I think that is fabulous! Keep up the wonderful work.
Love you and miss you,
Aunt Pam

Jessica Leija said...

Thank you so much for the kind words Aunt Pam! Love you and miss you as well! :-)