Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ornament Catch Up!

Whew...I see the light at the end of the tunnel; I am almost completely caught up on the Christmas rush for Bella. My goal is to be in a good place by Friday night so that I can do some Christmas shopping and wrapping on Saturday and Sunday and finish decorating the house.

So, to catch up on my ornament blogging...here we go!

December 5th:
Mom got me this ornament the year we moved to Trinidad, Colorado. It was making some comedy out of my situation. I was in the 3rd grade when my dad was transferred to Trinidad from Lincoln, Nebraska. Trinidad was a very small town on the border of Colorado and New Mexico and was a predominantly hispanic community. And let's just say it was a terrible place to live...I was made fun of relentlessly. So mom got this ornament that year for me :) (Side note: If you would ever like to hear about this crazy little town, ask me some time...that was an experience!)

December 6th:

This ornament is from 1986 (I believe, I am going off of memory and don't feel like climbing into the attic to check the box) and is from my dear Omi and Opi; if I had to describe them in one word it would be A-MAZING! This ornament reminds me of them and puts the biggest smile on my face!

December 7th:
This ornament is an emotional one for me. This is from Jacey's 2nd Christmas, she was 16 months old in this photograph. It was just her and I and I did the best I could do. I really think there is a reason that kids don't remember anything before they were 3--for people like me to feel a little better. I worked a job that required her to be a daycare kid from the second they opened until the second they closed. I look back on this period in her life and could see how unhappy of a child she was...depressed would be the word I would use; and that breaks my heart. (whew told you this was an emotional one...I am all choked up right now) I can't take all of the blame, her life was very unstable with the her biological father in her life every other weekend. Anyway, part of me never wants to hang this ornament on the tree...but the other part of me likes to look at that ornament and see how we made it through and how much better our lives are now with Steven in our lives.

December 8th:Here is another one of my Wizard of Oz ornaments! This one is from 2002 and is called "Horse of a Different Color". It captures a moment from the movie when Dorothy and her friends reach Emerald City and take an unusual carriage ride. The horse changes color continuously and the lamps on the carriage glow. When you press the button you can hear the carriage driver say, “Cabby, Cabby - Just what you’re lookin’ for. Take you any place in the city, we does. He’s the horse of a different color you’ve heard tell about.”

December 9th:

This ornament is from the year 2006 when we built our first home! This was a very exciting Christmas for us! This is the same Christmas I went overboard and bought a 12' tree...we had the room height wise for it but I kind of forgot about the width on a tree that size. The scene was much like the scene out of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation :)

December 10th:

I will be honest, I don't really know much about this ornament other then I have had it for FOREVER! I know my mom and older sister have one as well so it's just neat knowing we all have ours on the tree each year. (Mom, who gave us these? Any interesting info on this ornament?)

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Hmmm, I need to look through my X-mas stuff for that sled ornament. I do recognize it. I think it might have been from your grandparents?? I'm sure Mom knows where it came from. I remember your bunny ornament from O & O hanging on our tree. I love the once of JB. I got choked up too. Such a sweet girl. I remember when Mom brought her up for the girls b-day parties. We had so much fun that weekend that I cried when she left...I wanted to keep her and let her live with us!

Jenn said...

You know, the more I look at that sled ornament the more it looks like Mom's handwriting. Maybe she made them...come on Mom, put this guessing game to an end!

Constance said...

The ornaments are from...
drum roll please...
Jessica's Grandma and Grandpa Brandon. When Charlotte was working for the school district (something to do with their vedeos and movies and such for the schools) I think a co-worker made and sold these. Suspense over...
Love, Mom

Constance said...

Oh yeah, way to go and make me cry this morning! I was actually feeling a bit emo this morning as well. The new flooring is being installed today and I have been thinking of all of the memories in that room. You and Laura sharing it, then you by yourself, then Laura after you moved out, then you and Jacey! Whew!

I love my life but when I reflect, it is sad at times to think of all of you grown up and how I can never get those days back. One day you will be able to understand. There is a season for everything, savor every moment and don't get caught up with too much of the "have to's" in your life!
Love, Mom
I told you I was emo this AM!

The Ellis Family said...

Yes...HELLO??? Can we be careful of what we put up for emotional pregnant women reading??? You may be sadden thinking about that time in yours and Jacey's life, but look what a strong woman you are because of it Jess! If it were to me, I would say that was probably one of your strongest moments! Everytime I see Jacey I think of what a wonderful, sweet, gracious, well-behaved child she is, and that discipline all starts at the beginning of raising a child. So I think you did a mighty fine job. Like you said, they don't seem to remember much of anything when they are that young, but I know she remembers what a great mom you are and how much she is loved by you!
Okay..Love the Trinidad ornament, probably because I remember you telling me about living there!!

Jessica Leija said...

Aww thanks Chels; you are such a kind and thoughtful friend!